Monday, May 19, 2008

Who & Why....

I had the opportunity a while back to interview a rising star out
of Texas. His name is Yung Chill and he is a very talented person.
He writes, produces and creates his own music for himself and others
which include Snoop Dogg, UGK and Big Hawk. He is on his grind, so for that I'm showing him love. Also thanks to Michelle Ngome of Nu Phenomenon Ent. Below is the interview along with a link to Chill's video.


When you were in your early 20's do you remember what you were doing? Were you in the studio with artists like UGK, Big Hawk and Snoop Dogg? Were you being featured in numerous publications worldwide? Like most young adults you probably were passing your time by going to school, work or by starting a family.The same can not be said about Houston's own Yung Chill.The producer/artist has been on his grind. Once an insecure chubby kid, he has now grown into a full grown musician.With the ability to produce, play the piano and spit a few bars, Chill's talents will certainly launch him into the mainstream. Now with "Stop Talkin'and Listen" he plans on hitting the world with a quality record. Chill took a few minutes to tell me about the album and how he's not Hollywood like a lot of other rappers.

Where did the name Chill come from?

Yung Chill: It's kind of an embarrassing story. In Houston, it's this certain kind of haircut where if it's not blended all the way around it's called a chili bowl. So it went from Chili Bowl to Chili. Of course I got older and found out how embarrassing my haircut was, so from there I just kind of ran with it.

You don't wear your hair like that anymore do you?

YC: (laughs) I might bring it back, I'll make it look hot.


What initially drew you to music?

YC: I really don't know. Of course I watched t.v. and wanted to be this famous rapper like everybody else when I was a kid. Outside of that every since elementary school I have been rapping, I just thought it was cool. As time forbid I became a producer, it's been that ever since.

Did you like school?

YC: I don't know anybody who was excited about going through school.To be honest with you,I did like school.Iwas one of those fat nasty kids that nobody talked to.Everybody used to beat me and I could never run fast so I was a loser. Then I grew up. In high school I was a little more popular. Then I went to college and got an Associate's Degree in Recording Arts anda Bacholer's Degree in Entertainment Business. I enjoyed my college career because it was something that I really wanted to do. It's something that I still use today. I guess that you can say that school was cool, (laughs). That's for the kids.


By the time you went off to college your career was already blown right?


YC: Pretty much. I'm not going to lie,it wasn't blown up,I'm not blown now. On my way to college in Florida I actually sacrificed a lot. I was making a lot of moves and I went to college, I was scared I was going to lose a lot of my clientele. I was a producer so I was making a lotof good stuff. I had just got onTre's album I was working with Chamillionaire and UGK. I just threw it all in the air and was like man I really want to go to school. I was 18 at the time and I was like if I don't go to school now I'm never going.


Why go to college if you already had a career?

YC: I just wanted a piece of paper behind what I did. It wasn't like I was going to a university for something that I wasn't using. I received my Associate's Degree in Recording Arts, which taught me how to mix and master with my Bachelor's that taught me all the contractural side,all the marketing schemes that can help me futher my career. I think that if I didn't go to school a lot of things would be different. So I'm glad that I was able to go and get the knowledge that I got. Anybody that's ready to go to school, go to to school, go to school for something that you want to do, don't just go just to go and to say its cool. I'm not saying not to go to school but I'm saying when you do go to school go for something that you like and that you love. I went to school for what I wanted to go to school for. I felt like having the paperwork for what I wanted to do in real life. Just in case I break my arm and can't doa beat, I can go work somewhere.


You have worked with trhe likes of UGK and Chamillionaire among otgers,
wht advice have you learned from these artists?

YC: Big Hawk I think gave me the most advice, (r.i.p Big Hawk.) I think that Big Hawk was one of the first people that actually made me feel like I was tight .A lot of other artists will listen to your music and they are really thinking in their head,"man that shit was hot," but they won't say anything. Hawk was like one of those figures to me. I think Screw music was one of the things when I was a kid that really had me locked in on music. Dj Screw,the whole movement, I had every Screw tape.I listened to people like Big Hawk,Phat Kat,Lil Flip and Zero.When I met with Hawk he was like,"man ChillI'm going to be real with you man, I listened to your album and you hot bro, you're going to make it."When he told me that I was like I might actually make it for real. I learned a lot of stuff from being in the studio with UGK,(r.i.p. Pimp C.) You learn something from everybody anytime you go in the studio. I think people learn from me and a lot of those artists helped me work on my career.

What are your thoughts on Pimp C's passing?

YC: Pimp C was one of the most influential people in southern hiphop. I had a closer tie to him than a lot of other people did. The other side of my family is from Port Arthur. I was exposed to them at an early age.UGK and Screw music was the only thing I knew untilI was 13.When he passed away it really hit home. A week prior to passing I was in Houston with Pimp C and his wife, the whole UGK family, Dj Vito, 17 and Toe Major.We're all from Port Arthur and it's not that big so we try to stick together.All my condolenses go out to his wife, his immediate Butler family and Bun B of course. It really hit home but things happen and when it's your time it's your time. You just have to let God's will be done and keep it moving. We got to let Port Arthur live through us now.


Now on to a different gear, can you talk to me about the album?

YC: This album shows a lot more maturity than my last project. You never have to press stop, it's a straight headbanger.We have learned the game and you either going to make a real lolipop record or you're going to make a real overlooked lyrical over analyzed type of record where the general public can't understand. I tried to reach a happy medium.


Photobucket


Video: "Bottom of the Bottom"


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHKCbTHYKNo&feature=related

No comments: